Sorknes Art

"The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist" Sketches, art in progress, finished art and thoughts about it all.

Saturday 31 May 2014

How I spend my Friday nights

So, I tend to spend my Friday nights drawing. That is my choice. Often I accompany that choice with wine. Or rum. Or beer. Or just soda. Or tea. Or coffee. It is my choice.

These Friday nights that I spend like this is not because it's the best I can do. It is because it's what I choose to do. It's what makes me relax, leave the world behind, how I make my brain do loops that it's not allowed to do elsewhere in my daily life.

I do not make money on my drawing. Well, not enough to call it a living anyway, even the tax office laughs and assures me I am in no danger of overstepping any boundaries anytime soon. What you see on my blog, my pages and any exhibitions is stuff that I have made for myself, my own goals, and not for any clients.  Which also makes me able to choose when to show my stuff - as there is no deadline, no publication. If I feel it's not something for the public eye... it's not out there.

It is, however, how I survive. I might not be making any money on it. I'm actually not even sure I'd manage to live in a world where a client dictates what I am drawing - I am not that a good artist that I can fulfill other peoples visions. I am not good enough for that.

But it is how my brain recuperates. Even when it's a fight to get the image done.

So yeah, I might not be a pro. But I love it nonetheless. And I don't care about how other makes their stuff, how they're marketing it, how they're making a living, how they're doing whatever. If I like it, I'll look at it. If I don't, I won't. Simple as that.

That was kind of a comment to a bunch of stuff I see happening these days within my chosen art community. That said, this thing has been fighting with me from the start, but I seem to be unable to put the darn thing down. So here it is so far, any C&C appreciated, here, PM, email, comments on FB, whatever.


No comments:

Post a Comment